Homeopathy is a treatment method, the guiding principle of which is the law of similarity – “like cures like”. If any of the elements of nature or the environment in large doses causes any pathological changes in a living organism, then, according to the laws of homeopathy, a preparation prepared from this element can cure pathological changes that are similar in manifestation to the toxic effect of this element. Today, we will tell you how homeopathy works.
Homeopathy appeared at the end of the 18th century, and today it is recognized by the World Health Organization as the second largest treatment system in the world.
There are hundreds of different homeopathic remedies, which allows you to choose an individual preparation for the individual problem of each person. Homeopathic preparations are made from natural substances – plants, minerals or animal products that are highly diluted. The most commonly used forms of medication are drops, powders, tablets, grains, oils, ointments and alcohol solutions for external use.
Homeopathic medicines can be taken from birth to old age. They can safely be used by pregnant women, nursing mothers and patients with allergies.
How does homeopathy work?
You may wonder: why use homeopathic substances to treat illness or health problems if the same substance causes the disease? The idea is that this practice helps to stimulate the body’s immune system and natural self-healing abilities. According to The School of Homeopathy, “which a substance is capable of causing, it is also capable of curing”.
Homeopathy differs from traditional medicine in that it heals the body as a whole. Traditional medicine examines each organ individually and suppresses the symptoms, while homeopathy takes these symptoms into account and gives homeopathic remedies an impulse to put themselves in order. Homeopathy stimulates the body’s ability to self-repair and also strengthens the immune system, which helps the body restore its natural balance.
One of the main principles of homeopathic medicine is that treatment should be individual and adapted to the specific symptoms, characteristics of the body and the needs of each person. Even if two people suffer from the same disease, they can receive completely different treatment recommendations, depending on the situation and the body’s reaction.
Who benefits most from homeopathy?
Homeopathy treats almost everything but is most often used for patients suffering from depression, allergies, asthma, migraines or headaches, tension, anxiety, dermatitis and other skin diseases, arthritis, fatigue, thyroid problems or autoimmune diseases, as well as problems with digestion.
Can viruses and flu be treated with homeopathy?
Homeopathic remedies are very effective both for prevention and for the treatment of colds and viral diseases. They strengthen the human immune system, so people who take homeopathic medicines appropriate to their needs before the flu season begins are less likely to get sick, and even if they get sick, the symptoms of the disease are not so severe and the disease goes much faster than others.
5 benefits of homeopathy
In 2019, the International Healthcare Research Center (IHRC) and My Family First Health conducted studies on the benefits and effectiveness of homeopathy and identified 5 main advantages of this treatment method:
- All individual aspects of the patient are taken into account. Homeopathy considers the disease not as a set of symptoms, but as a reaction to a specific condition of the patient. This treatment method takes into account all the symptoms that the patient encounters, including psychological, spiritual, emotional and physical. This means that it takes into account such aspects as chronic stress, as well as the patient’s confidence in his/her recovery, which is known to be extremely important for general health;
- Natural substances are used in small doses. Homeopathic medicines are not produced using human-created substances or chemicals. They are made from natural trace elements, animal products, and plants. They are usually used in very low doses, and are “gentle, delicate and effective.” Compared to prescription drugs, homeopathic medicines have a very low risk of addiction and very rarely cause negative side effects;
- Homeopathy helps treat allergies and asthma. This method is very similar to traditional medicine when the patient is given a small amount of the same substance that initially causes allergies;
- Homeopathy can help reduce anxiety and depression. Many people suffering from anxiety or depression experience problems such as insomnia or sleep disturbances, fatigue, muscle aches, headaches, and digestive problems. The homeopathic doctor considers all the symptoms associated with psychological, physical and emotional disorders, which can help the patient recover faster;
- It also helps control pain. Separate studies have shown that people with chronic pain can benefit from homeopathic treatment without having to resort to risky procedures or medications.
Important: Although this treatment method is considered effective and it can be efficient in many cases, you should always consult a healthcare provider if you have any disturbing symptoms. You may have a condition that cannot be treated with natural remedies and requires pharmacological treatment.
History of homeopathy
Homeopathy has existed for more than 200 years, and today it is practiced in almost all countries. The founder of homeopathy is a German scientist, doctor, chemist, mathematician, philosopher and linguist Samuel Hahnemann, who in 1796 used the ideas of ancient Greek doctors to formulate his theory of homeopathic medicine.
How to find a good homeopathic practitioner?
In the USA, only a specialist who has received a medical degree can work as a homeopathic practitioner. This means that all homeopathic practitioners have been educated in traditional medicine. Choose the right doctor for your research. No doubt, the decisive factor in choosing a doctor is the effectiveness of treatment, but the doctor should not only be a good professional but also be interested in the problem of his/her patient. When choosing a homeopathic practitioner, be sure to ask if he or she has a homeopathic certificate. National certification in homeopathy is available through several organizations, including the American Board of Homeotherapeutics at the American Institute of Homeopathy.